This task represents the work involved with creating journey maps that lead the team to understand what opportunities exist for improving the current talk page notifications to make it easier for Junior and Senior Contributors to know:
- When another person is talking to them.
- When another person is saying something in a conversation they are interested in..
As part of this task, we will create maps of these two stories/journeys across desktop and mobile web...
|Journey name||Journey start||Journey end|
|1) Junior Contributor starts a new discussion topic on an article talk page||Junior Contributor wants to make their first edit to the article and they do not know how.||Junior Contributor feels confident editing the article in a way the the project and other editors will deem valuable.|
|2) Senior Contributor starts a new discussion topic on a Junior Contributor's user talk page||Junior Contributor makes an edit to an article that defies Wikipedia's policies.||Junior Contributor thinks they have a better understanding for what a "good edit" of Wikipedia can look like and feels empowered to start making more of them.|
- Journey maps are created for the two Journeys above.
Below are some links that may be helpful as you think about this task. It is not exhaustive.
- Spreadsheet listing the different notification people can receive on Wikipedia; last updated 2020: Notification spreadsheet.
- An over of how Notifications are configured at en.wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:DisplayNotificationsConfiguration
- An overview of Notifications offered by MediaWiki: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Notifications/Types