This task is about enabling the relevant config flag(s) to make The Reply Tool available to contributors at the "Phase 3" wikis (listed below) as a Beta Feature.
Phase 3 wikis
Source: Talk pages project/Scaling
We are defining "Phase 3" wikis as all Wikipedias EXCEPT the following:
- Phase 0 [i]
- Phase 1 [ii]
- Phase 2 [iii]
- English, Finnish, Gan, German, Inuktitut, Kazakh, Kurdish, Russian, Tajik, and Uzbek.
- To use the Reply Tool, all logged in editors at the Wikipedias listed in the "Phase 3 wikis" section above, who DO NOT have the Automatically enable most beta features preference enabled, will need to do the following:
- 1. Go to https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-betafeatures
- 2. Locate the Discussion tools "beta feature"
- 3. "Check" the checkbox to enable the Discussion tools "beta feature"
- 4. Visit any talk page or talk-like page (e.g. a page where __NEWSECTIONLINK__ is present), observe [ reply ] links are appended to each comment
- To use the Reply Tool, all logged in editors at the Wikipedias listed in the "Phase 2 wikis" section above, who DO have the Automatically enable most beta features preference enabled, will need to do the following:
- 1. Visit any talk page or talk-like page (e.g. a page where __NEWSECTIONLINK__ is present), observe [ reply ] links are appended to each comment
Deployment is scheduled for this upcoming Wednesday, 4-November-2020.
Wikis to test
|Column A||Column B||Column C||Column D||Column E|
|Wikipedia (unless otherwise noted)||Language code||Announcement URL||Pages to test whether [ reply ] links appear||Pages where you can test posting comments|
- Visit Special:Preferences > Beta features (read: mw-prefsection-betafeatures) at each of the Wikipedias listed above and confirm DiscussionTools is available as a Beta feature
- Visit the pages listed in the "Pages to test whether [ reply ] links appear" column above and file a task if [ reply ] links are NOT appearing where and/or how they should be
- Visit the pages listed in the "Pages where you can test posting comments" column above and:
- A) Document the text input mode – source or visual – is shown when a logged in user uses the Reply Tool for the first time on a given wiki
- B) Document if the Reply Tool does NOT "remember" [i] the text input mode – source or visual – you used in your previous edit
- C) File a task if you encounter cases where you are unable to post comments [ii] and/or if the Reply Tool behaves in any ways you deem to be unexpected
Text input mode behavior
|Wiki||Input mode shown by default (logged in)||Tool remembers last input mode used (y/n)|
- The behavior described in the "Implementation" details section above is implemented
- QA has completed the steps described in the "Testing instructions" section
- QA has filed tickets for the new issues that surfaced while completing the steps described in the "Testing instructions" section
- QA has filled in the table in the "Text input mode behavior" section