- Provide a short summary of your proposed post for the Wikimedia Technical Blog
In part 1 we have described the architecture of Wikimedia’s CDN up to 2018, when Varnish was used for both in-memory (frontend) and on-disk (backend) caches. The article points out a few issues we had with Varnish as the on-disk backend cache software, issues that made us look for alternatives. Now it’s time to see why we chose Apache Traffic Server as the replacement for Varnish, how this choice greatly simplified our CDN’s architecture, the challenges we faced, and what the migration entailed.
- Which topic type does your blog post fall under? See https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_technical_blog_editorial_guidelines#Outlines_for_topics
Technical explanation: problem / solution
Explainer for complicated tech concept or process
- What audience or audiences do you think your post is appropriate for:
- Will you need assistance with writing your blog post?
- Does your post need to be published by a certain date?
- Do you have any other questions or comments?