Proposal for https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T254956
Name: Ogechi Vivian
IRC nickname: ogechi
Typical Working Hours: 2pm to 12am UTC+1 hour
Lua is supported as a scripting language in all Wikimedia Foundation sites. Lua documentation that we currently have on meta-wiki & mediawiki.org currently needs some improvements. It is not explained clearly in the docs what Lua is, what it is used for, how it is connected with wiki modules.
The project aims to improve the documentation on:
- https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Lua to answer the question of what and why Lua
- https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Lua/Tutorial to be more informative and updated
|Dec 1 to Dec 23||Community bonding period. Update https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Lua, to be more comprehensive and detailed in answering questions of what and why lua ,Blog post|
|Dec 24 to Dec 25||Celebration Period|
|Dec 26 to Dec 29||Receive feedback and do changes if necessary, Phase I evaluation|
|Dec 30 to Jan 19||Improve the current documentation on http://mediawiki.org/wiki/Lua_scripting, as some of the documentation has been marked as obsolete, Blog Post.|
|Jan 20 to Jan 26||Receive feedback and do changes if neccessary, Blog PostPhase II evaluation|
|Jan 27 to Feb 16||Update https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Lua/Tutorial, to contain more comprehensive and detailed guidance on how to get started with Lua (Video tutorials inclusive)|
|Feb 17 to Feb 23||Receive feedback and do changes if neccessary, Blog Post, Phase III evaluation.|
|Feb 24 to March 2||Mentors submit final student evaluations|
- Improved and comprehensive documentation of Lua on https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Lua. .
- Updated documentation of Lua_scripting on http://mediawiki.org/wiki/Lua_scripting
- Well detailed and explanatory tutorial documentation on https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Lua/Tutorial.
I am a Devops Engr, i worked as an intern in Interswitch, Nigeria. i am currently mastering the skillset for automation and CI/CD integrations. In 2015 i graduated with a Bachelor of Engineering in Electronic Enginneering from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka. I am a quick learner and a great team player. This is my first participation in Outreachy internship and open source contribution. I am hoping that this will be an opportunity for me to kickstart my career in open source contribution.
What inspired me to work on this project is the fact that i like the concept of automation(scripting) and this will give me an opportunity learn more on scripting while researching an documenting the Lua Project.
I have gained experience in documentation,automation and scripting(bash, ansible and python) while solving issues relating to continous deployment and integration in the development team.
Microtasks completed/In progress
- https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/labs/tools/VideoCutTool/+/634770 (merged)
- https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/pywikibot/core/+/633340(In progress)
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:VideoCutTool/Background#Installation(Updated the page)