Page MenuHomePhabricator

Message "Wikibase-repo-name" should refer to WikiBase
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

I noticed that a MW instance with WikiBase client installed shows the link Wikidata item in the "Tools" section of the SideBar.
This is not correct as the link does not actually point to Wikidata, but to the local Wikibase installation.

Using ?uselang=qqx I found out the message showing that text is wikibase-dataitem, which in turns takes the name of the repository from Wikibase-repo-name: in fact this message contains the word Wikidata.

I would suggest to replace this last Wikidata with Wikibase: do you see any potential issue in making such a change?

If not, I need to ask guidance on where to make the modification: is https://translatewiki.net/wiki/MediaWiki:Wikibase-repo-name the right place to change the content?

Thanks

Luca

Event Timeline

Change 651596 had a related patch set uploaded (by Luca Mauri; owner: Luca Mauri):
[mediawiki/extensions/Wikibase@master] Change default name of Wikibase-repo-name

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/651596

Lydia_Pintscher added a subscriber: Lydia_Pintscher.

Thanks for the patch. I'm adding it to the queue to get it reviewed in the new year.

One question for anyone who knows: What does this mean for the Wikimedia project clients? Would we need to overwrite it for every single one of them?

I also wrote an explanation in the manual: as repoSiteName is a variable like many others, I think it is necessary to explain the user how and why to customize it.

@Samantha_Alipio_WMDE this ticket is one of the ones that can be covered by the "better wikibase defaults" topic :)

Change 651596 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/extensions/Wikibase@master] Change default name of Wikibase-repo-name

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/651596

Change 663532 had a related patch set uploaded (by Itamar Givon; owner: Itamar Givon):
[mediawiki/extensions/Wikibase@master] Update docs to reflect the new default as per Ie4ddf0a280a8c08ad025230dc5283445d9507f46

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/663532

Change 663532 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/extensions/Wikibase@master] Update docs to reflect the new default as per Ie4ddf0a280a8c08ad025230dc5283445d9507f46

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/663532

Change 664253 had a related patch set uploaded (by Tobias Andersson; owner: Luca Mauri):
[mediawiki/extensions/Wikibase@REL1_35] Change default name of Wikibase-repo-name

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/664253

Change 664253 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/extensions/Wikibase@REL1_35] Change default name of Wikibase-repo-name

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/664253