Some broken animated gifs not recognized as animated
Closed, DeclinedPublic



stuck convert jobs were killing the rendering server on august 19. Tim killall'ed the convert jobs.

Stacktrace attached. was temporarily deleted as the instigator of this problem.

Version: 1.17.x
Severity: normal

Attached: IM_stacktrace.txt

bzimport added a subscriber: Unknown Object (MLST).
bzimport set Reference to bz24871.
TheDJ created this task.Via LegacyAug 19 2010, 3:05 PM
TheDJ added a comment.Via ConduitAug 22 2010, 10:29 AM

Seems to indicate problems with a specific set of images. Have temporary deleted these. Some indications that it is only the old filerevisions that are causing this, not their last file revision...

Still shouldn't deadlock ImagaMagick of course...

Platonides added a comment.Via ConduitAug 22 2010, 11:50 PM

Those are all animated gifs.

From looking at the backtrace, it may be trying to throw the "Error creating thumbnail: convert: UnableToAcquireString `' @ fatal/string.c/AcquireString/126." message, which is what I get with a large $wgMaxAnimatedGifArea (not with the standard 1.25e7 which WMF seem to be using...).

TheDJ added a comment.Via ConduitAug 25 2010, 3:32 PM

These processes shouldn't deadlock anymore, with Tim's latest changes. I have restored the first image (for debug purposes) and restored the other images as well, but have left their 'old versions' deleted, because they are apparently causing the problems with imagemagick.

TheDJ added a comment.Via ConduitAug 25 2010, 3:38 PM

Created attachment 7654
broken animated gif

This is the animated gif that isn't being recognized as animated by mediawiki, and was causing the convert problems, probably because the maxarea setting wasn't triggered.


TheDJ added a comment.Via ConduitAug 25 2010, 3:42 PM

I have now also deleted the old revisions of the first image and uploaded one of these revisions to this bug. The error report on the image was: Error retrieving thumbnail from scaling server: Operation timed out after 53000 milliseconds with 0 bytes received

I'll see what I can reproduce on my local test server

Platonides added a comment.Via ConduitAug 25 2010, 9:19 PM

It was locally recognised for me. I wonder if the detection failed because the metadata in the db is old, from a time (or bug) where we didn't properly detect that.

Gilles added a project: Multimedia.Via WebNov 24 2014, 3:20 PM
Nemo_bis awarded a token.Via WebDec 12 2014, 8:03 AM
TheDJ closed this task as "Declined".Via WebJun 7 2015, 12:04 PM
TheDJ claimed this task.

As far as I know, we haven't seen similar problems anymore since. I'm inclined to support Platonides assessment that this was due to old metadata in the db.

I'm closing this ticket.

Add Comment