This task is about implementing a standardized "edit notice" [i] component within the New Discussion Tool's UI.
- Tools: New Discussion Tool
- Platforms: Desktop and Mobile
- As a Junior or Senior Contributor who has opened the New Discussion Tool on desktop or mobile, I want to know what – if any – instructions /guidelines I should consider before starting a new discussion topic on a talk page.
There are four kinds of edit notices that can appear within the context of talk pages:
- Individual talk pages can contain page-specific messages people see when they click Edit. These messages are defined via the MediaWiki:Editnotice-N-Title user interface message.
- All talk pages within a given namespace can also contain the same message people see when they click Edit on a page within said namespace. These messages are defined via the MediaWiki:Editnotice-N user interface message.
- All talk pages, within any talk namespace [ii], can also contain the same message people see when they click Edit on a page within a talk namespace. This message is defined via the MediaWiki:Talkpagetext user interface message.
- All talk pages that have not yet been created can contain a generic message people see when they click Edit on a page that does not currently exist. This message is defined via the MediaWiki:Newarticletext user interface message.
This task is about creating a UI "component" that will appear when someone opens the New Discussion Tool on a page that has at least one of the three edit notice user interface messages above defined.
- What projets have specified a MediaWiki:Talkpagetext message? [i]
- 161 projects have specified a MediaWiki:Talkpagetext message per T269033#6699159. Also see: https://global-search.toolforge.org/?namespaces=8&q=.®ex=1&title=Talkpagetext .
- Should this component be generalized to all relevant DiscussionTool features (e.g. the Reply Tool)?
- Not at this time.
ii. Any namespace which has odd namespace number (1=Talk, 3=User talk etc.).