Currently Wikibase CI run on WMF Jenkins is "augmented" by running php unit tests in a variety of additional configurations (e.g. non-English wiki, repo/client-only environment, etc) on legacy Travis CI infrastructure (travis-ci.org) - via github mirror of Gerrit code repository, see https://travis-ci.org/github/wikimedia/Wikibase.
travis-ci.org service is going to stop on Dec 31st 2020 (https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/migrate/open-source-repository-migration#q-when-will-the-migration-from-travis-ciorg-to-travis-cicom-be-completed), when all github repositories that are supposed to continue using Travis CI should be migrated to travis-ci.com.
There are no significant technical issues preventing migrating Wikibase github mirror to travis-ci.com. However, the new billing policy of Travis CI (https://blog.travis-ci.com/2020-11-02-travis-ci-new-billing) would in practice mean that Wikibase CI jobs would not be run on travis-ci.com, or only run in limited extent.
It looks like the "credit" balance of github.com/wikimedia on Travis CI has already been used in November.
https://travis-ci.com/github/wikimedia displays the message "Builds have been temporarily disabled for private and public repositories due to a negative credit balance. Please go to the Plan page to replenish your credit balance."
Incomplete list of options includes:
- migrating additional CI for Wikibase to some other CI infrastructure, e.g. Github Actions
- negotiating with the WMF changing the Travis CI plan to a paid one which would an unlimited/less limited resources available
- migrate additional CI for Wikibase to additional jobs on WMF Jenkins CI
Dropping the extended CI testing is not considered an option unless arguments are provided for it serving no purpose.
Note for camp: this should probably be a timeboxed investigation resulting in an ADR that's open to the whole team. timeboxed at 12 hours.
- Decision on how to continue with the "Secondary" CI for Wikibase has been recorded on the ticket, and, if applicable, as an ADR in Wikibase git repository
- Tasks have been created for WMDE Engineering team to execute the decision