The first alpha version of dnsdist 1.6.0 was released today: https://mailman.powerdns.com/pipermail/dnsdist/2021-February/000981.html
While it's too early for us to consider upgrading to 1.6.0, we should start preparing for this release by documenting the changes since 1.5.1, and also help the dnsdist developers with testing this release. (The last bit I feel is more important at this stage.)
Notables changes in this release so far include:
- Out-of-order processing for TCP and DoT (for both queries from client to dnsdist and dnsdist to pdns-recursor)
- Probably the most important feature!
- Changes to Proxy Protocol, that we don't currently use
- Custom web endpoints in Lua
- How does this compare to what we are currently doing with getDOHFrontend and setResponsesMap? Probably when the query is intercepted...
- Some actions and console commands have been renamed; on a casual look, it seems we are not affected but need to confirm
- webserver has been renamed to setWebserverConfig, including some other changes such as making the password parameter optional
- Our patch to prioritize ChaCha20 has been merged in 1.6.0, which means we should remove it during our dnsdist package build