This task is about ensuring Manual Topic Subscriptions (T263820)
1. Enabling topic subscriptions
2. Disabling topic subscriptions
3. Verify feature appears as expected
Exhaustively test Special:Preferences to ensure topic subscriptions appears/does not appear in expected ways. Where "exhaustively" means doing things like:
- If the DiscussionTools beta feature is enabled in Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-betafeatures the Enable topic subscription appears enabled within Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing
- If the Enable topic subscription is enabled within Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing, all ==H2== headings on talk pages should have a Subscribe link/affordance within them
- If the Enable topic subscription is disabled within Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing, NO ==H2== headings on talk pages should have a Subscribe link/affordance within them
4. Verify new comment notifications are delivered through the proper channels
This grouping refers to verifying new comment notifications are delivered through the channels "enabled" for Talk page subscription in Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-echo.
5. Verify new comment notifications are received for comments, regardless of the interface used to publish them
6. Verify new comment notifications are no longer sent when someone unsubscribes from a section
- Verify Unsubscribing from the talk page works as expected
- Verify Unsubscribing from within Echo on mobile and desktop works as expected (T279150)
7. Verify new comment notifications are bundled as expected
8. Verify new comment notifications are only sent when new comments are posted
E.g. a notification SHOULD be sent when someone posts a new comment with full-page editing or the Reply Tool. A notification should NOT be sent when someone makes an edit to an existing comment with full-page editing.
9. Verify content within the new comment notifications in Echo is displaying as expected
E.g. Username of comment's author, a portion of what's written in the new comment person is being notified about, section title, etc.
10. Verify the calls to actions within the new comment notifications in Echo function as expected
E.g. links to author's user page, link to diff, link to precise location on talk page where comment was posted, etc.
11. Ensure unsubscribe affordance disappears from within Notifications after having unsubscribed from a topic
12. De-duplicating pings
When a new comment is posted in a topic you are subscribed and that "new comment" contains a ping with your username in it, verify you only receive one notification for this comment: a notification within Alerts and not a new comment notification in Notices.
- Execute the steps listed in the Testing instructions section above
- File tickets for any issues that surface while executing the steps listed in the Testing instructions section above
- New comment notifications are not being delivered via email when that channel is enabled for talk page..
- New comment highlight persists in an unexpected way
- Action: @matmarex to create a task to solicit feedback from @iamjessklein
- Notifications for comments posted by same person:
- Overflow menu disappears when unsubscribing from topic within Echo:
Note: the only blocker among the issues above is the New comment notifications are not being delivered via email when that channel is enabled for talk page; the remaining issues can be addressed after the feature is made available as a beta feature at the first set of wikis.