One of the current WMF goals is to establish a single entry point for key technical documentation.
The site doc.wikimedia.org mostly hosts auto-generated docs thanks to CI.
The frontpage of doc.wikimedia.org however has seen some custom changes in the last 10 months (see changelog of YAML file defining its content; initiated in 07392c22 by @Krinkle, offering a clean and adaptive layout, sections with boxes (which include programming language information and further links).
To avoid reinventing wheels and https://xkcd.com/927/ , we should explore if doc.wikimedia.org could serve as a base to iterate on.
- Cognitive: Would expanding that page / site try to cover too many use cases (scope becoming too broad) for a reader? (scope creep)
- Potential target group overload: Current page seems great if you know what you need (reference), by technologies / tech areas, for non-newcomers. If it's "I want to do..." it feels harder (achieve/understand), by task orientation, also for newcomers (outreach). Would trying to cover different reader purposes (document types) be welcomed?
- Social: Shared sense of 'ownership' / gatekeeping / page scope, as 'page maintainers'? Good or bad to have "more chefs in the kitchen"?
- Would potentially removing some listed stuff be acceptable? (Scope; also different levels of depths covered in each section)
- Technical: Would expanding the page / site be technically possible and feasible? Structure and organization tbd. Vague thoughts (not necessarily good ones):
- Could the top bar be used for navigation, e.g. include three or five [sub]page "tabs"/links (each based on a YAML file), as the top level of documentation categorization?
- Could there be indexing items per programming language, and then (separate step) allow (on-the-fly?) filtering the view per programming language?
- Could the controlled vocabulary entries per YAML item be expanded, e.g. to add a document type and a non-displayed steward/maintainer entry?
- Could there be 'indexing' items per programming language and document type, and then (separate step) allow (on-the-fly?) filtering the view via checkboxes per programming language and/or per document type (e.g. "show only api references")?
- Could an item have more than one lang entry?
- Would load significantly increase / performance decrease? (unlikely?)
- Could the CSS for programming languages be adjusted to have each programming language have a specific background color?
- Could there be a search function? (could be overhead)
- Could the top bar have a logo (shared/DocHomePage.php; lib/wmui-page.css)