This task is about making it easy to generate a link that, when clicked, will lead someone to an open New Discussion Tool on a specified page.
- Open the Reply or New Discussion Tool
- Switch to the visual mode if you are not already in it
- Draft a message
- It does not currently appear to be possible to generate a link, that when clicked, will open the New Discussion tool (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Stussll?dtenable=1)
- ✅ Insert a link to a talk page you've specified, that when clicked, will open the New Discussion Tool (or the new section form if the person clicking the link does not have the New Discussion Tool enabled).
- Use case 1: When talking with someone who is new to contributing to Wikipedia, "I" will sometimes invite this person to contact me if they have any questions in the future by leaving a message on my user talk page. [i] It would be nice for the person "I" am offering help to to be able to start drafting a message to "me" in one step.
- Use case 2: Notice a Junior Contributor editing article(s) related to a WikiProject you are a part of. Reach out to this Junior Contributor making them aware there are other people on Wikipedia who likely have similar interests to them. Let this Junior Contributor know that if they ever want to talk with the people at this WikiProject, they can do so by starting a conversation on the WikiProject's talk page (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Medicine).
We can work on this task once we have implemented a way to create links to the New Discussion Tool. This work will happen in T270797.