The Growth team newcomer homepage project includes a mentor module where an experienced editor is assigned as a "mentor" to newcomers. Mentors participating across wikis have suggested different tools and features that may help with their mentoring activities, notably a Mentor dashboard as documented on this Mediawiki project page and in task T239234.
The Growth team wants to gain a deeper understanding of experienced editors who mentor newcomers on Wikipedia, in order to create a mentorship dashboard (and potentially other tools) that can make the mentoring experience better.
- Understanding motivations and attitudes regarding mentoring
- Why did they become a mentor?
- How have their experiences as a mentor shaped their motivation/attitudes regarding mentoring?
- Understanding processes & behaviours
- What are common pain points encountered in mentoring?
- What improvements could be made or potential features that would entice them/provide sufficient value to motivate them past those hurdles?
- What do they consider best practices or exemplary qualities of mentoring?
- [tertiary] Provide a general profile of a mentor
- Tenure as an editor?
- Languages and other sister projects?
- Editing areas of interest?
Conduct 13 video interviews and collected 6 more written responses with a cross-section of editors who have participated as mentors on the Growth experiments.
Generally, the suggestions fell under 3 main categories:
- Suggestions that allow mentors to be more proactive when mentoring.
- Improve the general way mentorship is done (eg. providing better mentor support).
- Improving mentor-mentee communication.
And the frustrations fell under 3 broader themes:
- Revolving around the mentees.
- About other mentors and their behavior.
- Frustrations about the website and existing features.
There were trends seen across some wikis:
- Arabic mentors suggested having personalizable template answers for FAQs.
- Czech mentors wanted to improve the mentee-based notification system and match mentors and mentees by interest.
- The Russian mentor was interested in creating a modular dashboard with badges and a mentor feedback feature.
A more detailed summary of findings can be found in this slide deck.