There are times when an editor wants their signature to appear other than at the very end of the comment (e.g. here, where it was inside <small> markup) but discussion tools recognises a comment as having been signed only if exactly four tildes are the last non-whitespace characters in the input box. This includes wikimarkup for, e.g. italic, in source mode.
Steps to reproduce:
- On any discussion page with discussion tools enabled, reply to a comment or start a new discussion.
- In source mode enter any text, followed by four tildes, and then one or more non-whitespace characters, e.g. ''Italic ~~~~''
- View the preview and/or save the comment
- Italic Thryduulf (talk) 17:00 24 March 2021 (UTC)
- Italic Thryduulf (talk) 17:00 24 March 2021 (UTC) Thryduulf (talk) 17:00 24 March 2021 (UTC)