On a talk page with DiscussionTools enabled:
- Click reply or add topic and start typing a comment, make sure you enter at least one non-whitespace character
- Decide that you instead want to edit the page the old way.
- Click to edit the page or section, do not cancel your comment
- Choose to leave the current page, even though you have unsaved changes
- Add any text to the page.
- If you started a new discussion in step one, save the page. If you replied, click save or cancel
- The page loads with no discussion tools input boxes active (i.e. as if you had not done steps 1-3).
- Your browser reports it has restored your unsaved changes.
- The comment you started writing in step 1 has returned and must be explicitly cancelled.
See also: T274949