Page MenuHomePhabricator

Clarify Ojibwe language codes in translatewiki
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

I noticed that the same user is translating messages into language ciw on translatewiki, and contributing articles to the Incubator Wikipedia into language ojb. Both of these are varieties of the Ojibwe language. Here's a discussion about it with that user:
https://translatewiki.net/wiki/Thread:User_talk:Aandeginini/Ojibwe_translations

I am now checking whether the two languages should be merged in the configuration. The user says that it's probably OK, and I'm also verifying it with a third-party Ojibwe expert.

Here are the steps I can see for clarifying this:

  • Temporarily block the exporting from translatewiki to core MediaWiki until we are sure in which language code this will be done. This language is getting close to the export threshold, so it's better to pause it (patch).
  • Decide whether a merger should be done, and into which code: Decided. I asked several people, and everyone agrees it should be to ojb. -- @Amire80
  • Decide what should be the autonym of the merged language. Decided. I asked several people, and everyone agrees it should be to Ojibwemowin, which is now defined as the autonym for ciw in translatewiki and language-data. -- @Amire80
  • Move the existing translations in translatewiki to the new code (subtask: T281053).
  • Update translatewiki LanguageSettings.php (patch).
  • Update the information in language-data upstream (patch).
  • Update the information in the ULS extension (depends on the previous step; patch).
  • Unblock the exporting of ciw in translatewiki (patch).
  • Update the ciw translatewiki portal to ojb.
  • Clean up Babel boxes and User:ciw * categories

Event Timeline

Change 680780 had a related patch set uploaded (by Amire80; author: Amire80):

[translatewiki@master] Block exporting MediaWiki messages in language ciw

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/680780

Amire80 added a project: I18n.
Amire80 added subscribers: Nikerabbit, Raymond.

Change 680780 merged by jenkins-bot:

[translatewiki@master] Block exporting MediaWiki messages in language ciw

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/680780

Change 682279 had a related patch set uploaded (by Amire80; author: Amire80):

[translatewiki@master] Move code ciw to ojb in LanguageSettings

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/682279

Change 682280 had a related patch set uploaded (by Amire80; author: Amire80):

[translatewiki@master] Remove ciw from no-export-languages

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/682280

I made a few trivial configuration patches and created T281053 to do the move of the pages in translatewiki.

I guess that for smooth transition for the translator, all of these things should be done as close to each other as possible:

Does it make sense to do it on Wednesday, April 28, 2021, during the translatewiki deployment?

I think we can do language data right away, merge ULS update on Tuesday (i.e. after branch cut) and move pages after deployment using command line of ReplaceText extension.

Change 683001 had a related patch set uploaded (by Amire80; author: Amire80):

[mediawiki/extensions/UniversalLanguageSelector@master] Update jquery.uls from upstream

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/683001

Change 683001 merged by jenkins-bot:

[mediawiki/extensions/UniversalLanguageSelector@master] Update jquery.uls from upstream

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/683001

Change 682279 merged by jenkins-bot:

[translatewiki@master] Move code ciw to ojb in LanguageSettings

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/682279

Change 682280 merged by jenkins-bot:

[translatewiki@master] Remove ciw from no-export-languages

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/682280

AFAIK, it's done. Thanks for everyone's help :)