This task is about introducing a more subtle experience for preserving text formatting when pasting content into the source modes of editing interfaces that are built "atop" the visual editor (read: 2017 wikitext editor and DiscussionTools' Reply Tool and New Discussion Tool).
- By default, copied text should be pasted into the editing interface as plaintext
- People should be aware they have the ability to preserve [i] the formatting inherent in the text they've copied once it's pasted into the editing interface
- At all points in the process of pasting text into the editing interface, people should:
- A) Be able to see the entirety of the text they are pasting
- B) Be able to use the editing interface they are pasting content into
- Approach #1: ephemeral hint [ii]
- @Esanders to link to the WIP demo he's been working on.
- An ===Approach that meets the ===Requirements above is implemented and testable via patchdemo
i. "Preserve" refers to the pasted text rendering to the saved page in the same way it appeared on the page it was copied from
ii. Where "ephemeral hint" refers to something like how Google Sheets currently behaves (@Esanders) spotted this: