as a fellow Wikipedian I find it very annoying to use the share-a-fact cards of the Wikipedia app when they depict images protected by CC licenses and only attribute them with standard CC-icons without giving appropriate credit to the owners. Could you please implement a standard text field on the image which gives credit to the respective owner of the image?
Why are we doing this?
We need to support giving credit to respective image owners on Share-a-Fact cards
- Support appropriate text in the designs (eg. "Image by XXX" along with the CC icons
- Support RTL
- Consider how to handle long names (eg. truncation?)
- Consider if we want to show credit for CC licenses that do not require attribution (eg CC0)
3 Design solutions
The designs include 3 options A, B & C which are exemplified in the table below. All options include the:
- Article title
- CC icons
- Wikipedia logo
- Should be in the language of the article. You can find some of the logos in the various languages here
- If no logo in a particular language can be found we can try to use the language closest to the original language eg. if not Czech logo can be found use Slovenian. If this is not possible, one can use the English logo as a fallback.
- 'made by the Wikipe...'
- 'image by: XXX'.
- The line that includes 'image by: XXX' can be max. 30 characters with spaces (including the 'image by'). If the image credit exceeds 30 characters the name should be truncated.
Table: 3 Design options for share-a-fact
Currently, the preferred designs are those under option B, due to a clearer hierarchy between the elements.
|Different options||Details/differences||Dark background||Light background||Varying background||RTL|
|Option A||1. The articles title (16px) & the 'made by....' (10px) is located under the text 2. The logo & 'image by: XXX' (10px) is on the bottom of the image|
|Option B (preferred)||1. The articles title (20px) is on top of the page, while the logo & 'made by:..' (10px) is under the text 2. 'image by: XXX' (10px) is on the bottom of the image|
|Option C||1. The articles title (16px) is located under the text 2. The logo & 'image by: XXX' (6px) is on the bottom of the image|
- Please find the designs in the Figma file