- The default OCR is Tesseract for all users.
- IF the user wants to change the selected their default selection, the following behavior will occur:
- The user can click "extract" and the OCR rendering will occur with their default OCR engine
- The user can change the OCR engine by clicking on the down arrow icon
- In the dropdown, display a final option entitled "Advanced options," which:
- Links to the wmcloud OCR form (which would be useful for advanced users)
- Ideally, pre-populate the link to the Commons image in the form page
- Question from @SGill: Can wikis have a default engine that they have specified or have an engine that is recommended (which is best for the language, the wiki's needs)?
Idea: Maybe we give option to communities to select default, but all users can choose to switch to another one in the proofread page if they want (or in bulk, if/when that is available).
Documentation of technical considerations:
- Hidden preference is stored for multiple sessions, so this is the preferred way to store these preferences for a user.
- For unauthenticated users, default to Tesseract.
- Are we providing any UI component to the issue to let them know which engine is defaulted? Yes the hyphen default!