This task is about making the WikipediaPortal code itself work with Event Platform. Right now, it is a direct copy/paste of old code in the EventLogging extension. Because WikipediaPortal does not use the EventLogging extension itself, it is a completely separate codebase and client, and does not (yet) support the backwards compatible migration we are doing for all other schemas in T259163.
We need some team to own the WikipediaPortal codebase and event client, and make it POST events to EventGate.
Any of the tasks listed under 'Schemas produced by other software' in T259163: Migrate legacy metawiki schemas to Event Platform are instrumentations that needed to be manually rewritten, just like WikipediaPortal. You can click through those to find commits to do that. T271163: TranslationRecommendation* Schemas Event Platform Migration is probably the most like WikipediaPortal of them. In this change, the instrumentation code is very simple (it just hardcodes POSTing an event, so there's no real library/client code), but you can see how the code had to change to work with Event Platform.
See also: https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Event_Platform/EventLogging_legacy.
Unless otherwise notified, client IP and consequently geocoded data will no longer be collected for this event data after this migration. Please let us know if this should continue to be captured. See also T262626.
Analytics events are being sent from the www.wikipedia.org to the Event Platform infrastructure, as a similar rate as before, and without any changes to the data being collected.
- 1. Pick a schema to migrate
- 2. Create a new task to track this schema's migration
- 3. Create /analytics/legacy/ schema
- 4. Edit-protect the metawiki Schema page at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Schema:WikipediaPortal
- 5. Manually evolve the Hive table to use new schema
- 6. Add entry to wgEventStreams, in operations/mediwiki-config
- 7. Once the legacy stream's data is fully produced through EventGate, switch to using Refine job that uses schema repo instead of meta.wm.org
- 8. Mark the schema as migrated in the EventLogging Schema Migration Audit spreadsheet