We've discussed this as a team but I don't think there's a task, so here's one.
The proposal is to integrate spelling and grammar checks from https://languagetool.org into the suggested edits module on Special:Homepage as a structured task.
Conceptually, this would be similar to the Add-Link project, except that there isn't a service we would need to maintain and deploy, as we could use https://languagetool.org's infrastructure (perhaps/probably with some agreement on API usage with them).
Like Add-Link, we would have a script that iterates over batches of pages and sends them to a LanguageTool API, gets suggestions, stores them in a on-wiki cache and updates the wiki's search index so hasrecommendation:languagetool yields those articles. Then the user clicks through the task on Special:Homepage and can interact with the LanguageTool suggestions.
LanguageTool already provides a browser extension that provides the interactions with a sentence:but I suspect we would want to implement our own VisualEditor widget for handling the interactions, again, very similar to Add-Link.
Some related tasks:
- T186404: Support correction of spelling, grammar and style errors in Content Translation
- T89107: Unified language proofing tools integration framework
- T90190: Show grammar warnings in ContentTranslation
- T105153: Make the LanguageTool deployable to the Wikimedia cluster
- T152049: New Maintainer needed for LanguageTool WikiCheck on Toolforge
- T265163: Create a system to encode best practices into editing experiences