Feature job story for Q1 and Q2
As a Wikipedia editor with an Android device, I want to clearly know when I have a new notification or alert, and easily take timely action.
We currently support all echo notifications in the Android app. However, when users are in the app, notifications are not easily discoverable; FY 2021-2022 we seek to improve this experience.
Our Q1 update will improve the in-app discoverability of notifications and enhance notifications on the lockscreen. In Q2, we will enhance the notification home center to build an intuitive inbox and interface. We will design and build with consistency with Android system elements in mind to ensure that the feature feels at home on its platform.
The first half of the FY focuses on logged-in users that have made at least one edit, however we will build on our preliminary work from the fiscal year prior to enhance alert awareness for logged-out users in Q3, and explore onboarding experiences to communication tools for users that are logged out. This will be in addition to other positive reinforcements and onboarding workflows for logged-in users.
By the end of this fiscal year, we hope to improve collaboration workflows that encourage productive edits and engagement. Additionally, we hope to sufficiently address the concerns raised on village pump and Phabricator, that are within our ability to address.
Q1 Product Requirements
- Iconography denoting the number of unread messages a logged-in user has ever present when in-app
- Notifications can be easily accessed with no more than two clicks for logged-in user from the explore page, edits dashboard, or when reading an article
- Users can go directly to their desired action place when receiving a notification when not in the app
- Optimizations for different color themes, small screens and tablets
How will we know we were successful?
- There is an increase in notifications click through rate by 30% for target users that have push notifications turned off and by 10% for target users that have push notifications turned on
- There isn’t an increase in revert and blocks rate
More information will be available on our project page