Page MenuHomePhabricator

On Firefox non-RTL search suggestions on an RTL wiki are first shown backwards
Closed, InvalidPublic

Description

a screenshot in which the directionality in the search box is messed

This bug is a bit complicated to explain.

First, it only seems to happen on Firefox. It doesn't happen on MSIE, Safari, Chrome and Opera. (Latest versions of all of them, on XP and Vista.) And it only happens with the Vector skin.

Enter an RTL Wikipedia, for example Hebrew.

Type the letter 'A' in the search box. There will be several suggestions: A, ABC, Allmusic, Associated Press, etc. But they won't appear correctly: it will be BCA, llmusicA, ssociated PressA. That is, the first letter goes in the end. (See the screenshot.)

Now click somewhere so that the drop-down will disappear and try it again. Now it will appear correctly.


Version: 1.22.0
Severity: normal

Attached:

messed-RTL-search-Vector-Firefox.png (379×798 px, 49 KB)

Details

Reference
bz26665

Event Timeline

bzimport raised the priority of this task from to Medium.Nov 21 2014, 11:18 PM
bzimport set Reference to bz26665.
bzimport added a subscriber: Unknown Object (MLST).

Created attachment 7972
a screenshot in which the directionality in the search box is good - on the second attempt

Add a screenshot with proper display.

I forgot to add that if you refresh (Ctrl-F5), the bug comes back again for one time and than it is sorted out.

Attached:

good-RTL-search-Vector-Firefox.png (355×782 px, 45 KB)

Thanks. This problem appears to be solved on the Arabic prototype, although it has other problems:

  • the browser's autocomplete is not turned off
  • the word "Search" (ابحث) disappears the first time i click right in the search box, but if i delete what i wrote in the box, it reappears as a regular word and doesn't disappear when i click it the second time. The same happens on deployment-es.

(In reply to comment #4)

Thanks. This problem appears to be solved on the Arabic prototype, although it
has other problems:

  • the browser's autocomplete is not turned off

Can't reproduce that. Try hard refreshing?

  • the word "Search" (ابحث) disappears the first time i click right in the

search box, but if i delete what i wrote in the box, it reappears as a regular
word and doesn't disappear when i click it the second time. The same happens on
deployment-es.

Yup, that I can reproduce. Filed as bug 26668.

(In reply to comment #5)

(In reply to comment #4)

Thanks. This problem appears to be solved on the Arabic prototype, although it
has other problems:

  • the browser's autocomplete is not turned off

Can't reproduce that. Try hard refreshing?

Hmm, doesn't happen any more. I'll report if it comes back.

Thanks!

It happens again in the Hebrew and the Arabic Wikipedias. I imagined that it would be fixed in 1.17.

(In reply to comment #0)

Created attachment 7971 [details]
a screenshot in which the directionality in the search box is messed

This bug is a bit complicated to explain.

First, it only seems to happen on Firefox. It doesn't happen on MSIE, Safari,
Chrome and Opera. (Latest versions of all of them, on XP and Vista.) And it
only happens with the Vector skin.

Enter an RTL Wikipedia, for example Hebrew.

Type the letter 'A' in the search box. There will be several suggestions: A,
ABC, Allmusic, Associated Press, etc. But they won't appear correctly: it will
be BCA, llmusicA, ssociated PressA. That is, the first letter goes in the end.
(See the screenshot.)

Now click somewhere so that the drop-down will disappear and try it again. Now
it will appear correctly.

I just managed to reproduce these exact symptoms on trunk. It's most likely a CSS or DOM order issue in SimpleSearch. The really weird part is that if I blank the search box, blur and refocus it, and type a different letter, the suggestions for that letter will show up correctly. It's only broken the first time.

Attached:

messed-RTL-search-Vector-Firefox.png (379×798 px, 49 KB)

This still happens on he.wikipedia.org with Firefox 18.

(Not Vector specific as far as I can tell. Affects the general search modules used by various skins, provided by core.)

This is an old bug that seems like a browser problem (though maybe the right hint could get the browser to do the right thing). The last cited FF version with the problem is 18, from 2013.

I tested it on the browsers I have handy:
OSX

  • Safari 9
  • Firefox 47
  • Chrome 52
  • Opera 39

Windows 8

  • IE 10

Ubuntu 16

  • Chrome 52
  • Firefox 47

Android Linux 60

  • Firefox 48

It seemed to work correctly on all of them. I also happened to have Firefox 19 on Windows XP available, and it worked there, too. Maybe that's why no one commented after FF18.

I suggest closing this one.

debt added a subscriber: debt.

HI @Amire80 - I'm closing this out as invalid as it seems like this has already been 'fixed' due to the passage of time and browser updates. Please write a new ticket if you see this happen again or if it's still occurring in other browsers (ones that we didn't test).