Page MenuHomePhabricator

Visual editor <nowiki> tags and language tags for nl-wikipedia when starting a complete new article in VE-mode
Open, Needs TriagePublicBUG REPORT

Description

On the Dutch Wikipedia, when starting a new article in VE-mode, like here, sometimes

  • <nowiki> tags are included in the text (might be because of switching back and forth between VE/source code?)
    • This one could have been a small glip of me (starter of the article), using source code in visual mode;
    • But this one seems to be because of the internal link I tried to activate without the s (because an added 's' means plural and then the article will not be found).
  • Also, because we are on the Dutch Wikipedia, it is somewhat unnecessary to include a Dutch language tag when a Dutch reference is used and some users are very annoyed by this. Is there a way these could be excluded?

Best, Ciell

Event Timeline

On the Dutch Wikipedia, when starting a new article in VE-mode, like here, sometimes

(For the record, I don't think this is related to starting a new article, the same problems could surface in any VE edit)

  • <nowiki> tags are included in the text (might be because of switching back and forth between VE/source code?)
    • This one could have been a small glip of me (starter of the article), using source code in visual mode;

Related task: T106641: '' is frequently used unnecessarily in VisualEditor and put in <nowiki>. It's not clear what VE should do to prevent this.

    • But this one seems to be because of the internal link I tried to activate without the s (because an added 's' means plural and then the article will not be found).

Related task: T128060: VisualEditor makes it easy to create partially linked words, when the user expects a fully linked one. It's also not clear what VE should do here.

This complaint came up in the past too, e.g. T156548: Disallow adding Czech language tag (cs-CZ) into citation templates on cswiki (and I vaguely remember something about 'en-EN' language tags on English Wikipedia, but I can't find the task about it). It looks like in the past, it was usually worked around by changing the citation templates on each wiki to not display the language code when it's the same as the content language. I don't know if this behavior is considered a bug or feature now.