This task is an extension of T262103 and involves creating mockups for the Automatic Topic Subscription first-run experience people will see who meet the criteria listed in the Impacted users section below.
This user experience we are designing and implementing as part of this task will only impact:
- People who have the Email Echo subscription enabled for the Talk page subscription notification type in Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-echo and
- People have *NOT* provided and confirmed an email address in Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-personal.
As someone who has just been automatically subscribed to a topic for the first time [i] AND who would expect to receive an email [ii] when someone adds a new comment in said topic:
- I want to know that I will be made aware when someone posts a new comment in the discussion I just participated in/started, so that I have an accurate expectation for how I will know if someone responds to me.
- I want to know that email delivery is turned on, but in order to receive notifications about new comments via email, I need to provide and/or confirm the email address associated with my Wikipedia account
- I want to know where I can adjust whether I am automatically subscribed to the future discussions I start and/or participate so that I can continue to ensure the notifications I receive are valuable to me
Associating an email address with your Wikipedia account is optional. [iii]
This means that some percentage of people [iv] will not know when someone is talking to them, unless they decide to come back to the site on their own accord.
Data pulled in November 2019 [v] suggests:
- Of all of the people who have created accounts at the 10 biggest wikis, between 55.5% (Commons) and 79.1% (es.wiki) have an email address associated with their account.
- Of all people who have created accounts at the 10 biggest wikis and associated an email address with said accounts, <50% have validated the email address they entered.
- Experiences should be designed for mobile and desktop
- The experience being designed as part of this ticket should not conflict with the existing You have subscribed! "popup" [vi]
To be created.
- 1. For people who have not yet associated an email account with their Wikipedia account, what should should happen if they indicate they would like to receive new comment notifications via email?
- All Open questions are answered
- Mockups are posted that fulfill the ===Requirements and ===User stories
i. People are automatically subscribed to topics when they: 1) Post a comment in an existing conversation or 2) Start a new conversation
ii. We are defining people who would expect to receive an email in this case as those people who meet the criteria listed in the ===Peopled impacted section above.
iv. T262104: [SPIKE] How many accounts have email addresses associated with them?