I'm creating this task to document the work done and collect feedback. A rudimentary script is now available for testing.
Installation on English Wikipedia
- Make sure you're using the 2010 wikitext editor ("New wikitext mode" is disabled in your Beta preferences)
- Go to User:MusikAnimal/dablinkwarn.js then click on "Install" next to the page title.
- Test anywhere in the mainspace. For now, it can be used in the userspace too, so your sandbox is a good place to test. Try typing for instance [[New York]]
- You should see a notification bubble with suggestions of other similar articles. This is just a prefix search, so for "New York" you'll see suggestions for page titles starting with "New York".
- Does not work in the 2017 wikitext editor (yet)
- Can only detect links after ]] is typed. For instance, it does not detect dablinks added from a copy/paste.
- Probably other bugs...
- Only enable this feature for new users
- Only enable for desktop, because on mobile the suggestions list could take up too much visual space for a toast notification.
- Alternatively, we can omit the suggestions list for mobile users.