The issue happens only on the initial selection of filters/topics. To reproduce the issue there are two options - 1) a user enables Homepage (or it's enabled upon creating a new account) 2) use "Restore all default settings (in all sections) in User preferences.
mswiki (Malay wikipedia) has zero articles for performing arts topic for both copyedit and links (mswiki Special:NewcomerTaskInfo)
- a user with enabled Special:Homepage goes through the intro tour
- a user selects performing arts topis; the task difficulty selection is default: copyedit and links
- a user might not notice the zero number for suggested articles and proceed
- a user doesn't change the default filter selection and click on "Get suggestions"
- 318 suggestions (the total number of tasks for the default filters) are displayed for default filters and performing arts topics
- a user clicks on the arrow to get to the next article - the article is not displayed; "No more suggestions" message appears and the counter is out of sync with the actual number of tasks (0 number of task)
Here is an animated gif: