This task is about implementing a way to identify people who have opened the New Discussion Tool before.
Distinguishing people in the New Discussion Tool A/B test (T277825) who have opened the New Discussion Tool before the test started from people who have NOT opened the New Discussion Tool before the A/B test started.
- Whatever approach is taken to log whether people have opened the New Discussion Tool or not needs to be easily related to EditAttemptStep.
- Note: "opened the New Discussion Tool" in this context means clicking an affordance that causes people to see the New Discussion Tool open on a particular wiki.
- Whatever trigger/event/value we use should NOT collide with anything that's set by the reply tool.
- Said another way: we are looking for a trigger that'd ignore usage of the reply tool. E.g. discussiontools-editmode preference is not empty would not let us know which tool (new discussion or reply tool) the person used.
Minimum test cast
- Log in to the beta cluster on desktop
- Verify the New Discussion Tool is enabled on your account
- Visit a talk page on the beta cluster. E.g. https://en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Talk:Cats.
- Click the New section button to open the New Discussion Tool
- Open the browser's console
- Verify the state of the 'discussiontools-newtopictool-opened' preference is '1'
- 1. Editing Engineering implements an approach that satisfies the ===Requirements above and can be used in the cases described in ===Use cases (also above)
- 2. Editing QA verifies the preference Editing Engineering implemented is being changed/created at the expected moment.
- QA: Current state of the preference can be tested via mw.user.options.get( 'discussiontools-newtopictool-opened' ) in the console.
- 3. Product Analytics verifies the preference Editing Engineering implemented is being stored in the expected way/place