In our styles we're importing various variables coming from mediawiki core resources like:
- @wmui-color-base80 from resources/lib/ooui/wikimedia-ui-base.less in modules/ext.growthExperiments.StructuredTask/MachineSuggestionsMode.less
- @colorGray5 from mediawiki.ui/variables.less in modules/ext.growthExperiments.StructuredTask/addimage/RecommendedImageRejectionDialog.less
From the information shared in this Slack thread seems like we are not using the preferred mechanism to import OOUI base styles into our extension LESS files. This can lead into "skin coupling" meaning our styles are bound to particular skins and won't work well with non-WMF skins and bypass the skin's ability to provide appropiate theme variables.
We could take some actions to improve this:
- Use the preferred import mechanism
- Prefer using semantic variable names. For instance prefer @color-base--disabled over @colorGray7
- Consolidate GE styles variables in 1 file or 1 file per module and make any needed variable overwrites in these