This task represents the work involved with adjusting how the the Enable quick topic adding setting in Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing#discussion-pages interacts with the standard/legacy form that appears when people click a [red] link to a talk page that does not yet exist.
- When I, a Senior Contributor who has the Enable quick topic adding setting enabled, click on a red-linked talk page (or otherwise arrive at a talk page that has not yet been created), I want a fast and easy way to access the full-page, source editor, so that I can create said talk page by adding a template to the page (read: without starting a new topic).
We will introduce a new setting that enables people to choose the experience they have when they arrive on a talk page that has not yet been created. That setting should be implemented as follows:
- Setting should always be visible regardless of state of enable quick topic adding setting
- IF enable quick topic adding setting is disabled, so too should this new setting
- New setting should have two options, each prefixed with a radio button
Minimum test case
- Visit a wiki where the New Discussion Tool is available
- Log in
- Visit Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing#discussion-pages
- Verify that a new preference appears specified in the ===Requirements section above
- Verify that changing the preference has the expected effect whe visiting a talk page that does not exist
- Implement === Requirements
- Update or remove local override for the preference help text on English Wikipedia, to better match the new behavior