Page MenuHomePhabricator

PageForms extension - unable to save changes on bigger pages
Closed, DeclinedPublic

Description

Hello, I recently started to set up a PageForms form to edit a very long page containing data. The problem is, that the form cannot be saved on long pages like this one.

Once "Save page" is clicked (checking changes or previewing has the same effect), the page starts to load for around a minute and then reloads, losing the changes made.

You can see an example by editing this certain page with a form on my wiki. (The page is a sandbox, but we will keep its contents as long as this task is open)
It loads for a moment but succeeds most of the time.

Can this issue be fixed? Editing the page source directly is not feasible - the wikitext editor suffers severe lag issues on long pages like these (this is honestly the reason we started using a form), so we would need a way to edit this page, and others with similar length.

Event Timeline

Restricted Application added subscribers: RhinosF1, Universal_Omega, Reception123, Aklapper. · View Herald Transcript

Hi @Xenareee, thanks for taking the time to report this and welcome to Wikimedia Phabricator. For future reference, please use the bug report form (linked from the top of the task creation page) to create a bug report. Please also provide version information for MediaWiki and the extension. Thanks.

RhinosF1 changed the task status from Open to Stalled.Jan 6 2022, 5:14 PM

Hi, @Aklapper: I'm going to stall this for the moment. We are currently as advertised via Sitenotice experiencing slowness due to our infrastructure migrations.

We can reopen this if it's still happening after we switch to the new DC (late next week or early the week after).

Hi, @Aklapper: I'm going to stall this for the moment. We are currently as advertised via Sitenotice experiencing slowness due to our infrastructure migrations.

We can reopen this if it's still happening after we switch to the new DC (late next week or early the week after).

I posted it here instead of the Miraheze Phabricator because it was extension related, but thanks for the heads up. Wasn't sure if it's related to the overall slowness.

Thanks for the fast response! Hopefully that's just the slowness and no issues with the extension then ^^

@RhinosF1: Did the DC switch happen, and what was the outcome?

Yes, @Xenareee: are you still seeing this?

Yes, the issue is still present, despite the normal wikitext editor performance increasing greatly after the migration.

RhinosF1 changed the task status from Stalled to Open.Feb 5 2022, 8:37 AM
RhinosF1 added a project: Performance Issue.

That "form edit" link no longer works (it gives a 502 error) - how can I see the problem?

I assume that's part of the issue

That "form edit" link no longer works (it gives a 502 error) - how can I see the problem?

If it's throwing an error after around a minute of loading, it's a part of the performance issue. Reloading a few times allowed me to enter the edit mode when I last tried, it's most likely having problems loading the form edit mode itself as well.

Okay, now I understand the problem. I'm not totally surprised that the form isn't working - this is a 3000-line file! And if anything, that understates the size of it, because some lines contain more than one template parameter. It basically comes out to something like a 25 x 150 table of data, all contained on one page. It seems to me that you've basically run into a limitation of the software. I would strongly recommend splitting up this data - so that each call to the "DragonData" template is on a separate page.

Okay, now I understand the problem. I'm not totally surprised that the form isn't working - this is a 3000-line file! And if anything, that understates the size of it, because some lines contain more than one template parameter. It basically comes out to something like a 25 x 150 table of data, all contained on one page. It seems to me that you've basically run into a limitation of the software. I would strongly recommend splitting up this data - so that each call to the "DragonData" template is on a separate page.

Alright, so it's actually expected behavior. Good to know!

We managed to handle this huge amount of data earlier in a different way, on one page that can be called faster, which we will just edit in the wikitext editor considering how long it is. Seems like PageForms are the wrong way to handle this kind of pages haha ^^

(You can close this task then if it's just the limitation of the software)