Language team has enabled translation backports as a service in 2022. This is for most parts the same thing that Localisation Update (LU) extension does. By doing it "as a service", people using MediaWiki releases do not need to setup LU to get updated translations.
Wikimedia has stopped using LU long time ago. To our knowledge, even though LU is shipped with MLEB and bundled with MediaWiki tarballs, there are no or very few users of the LU extension, because it needs to be enabled separately.
The goal is for the Language team to stop maintaining the Localisation Update extension.
Translation backports run on a weekly schedule. Wikis get updates either by following the stable release branch in git, or by updating to maintenance release of MediaWiki.
Localisation Update can be configured to run on any schedule, not dependent of other updates.
Translation backports supports MediaWiki core, extensions and skins hosted on Gerrit. There isn't yet support for extensions or skins hosted elsewhere.
Localisation Update can in theory support any hosting, but requires special configuration.
Translation backports does not require any setup.
LocalisationUpdate is slow (when using GitHub mirrors) and require special configuration.
- 1) Announce the plan
- Send an announcement to a mailing list (mediawiki-l?). https://firstname.lastname@example.org/message/BCDH3PUKWYGF5AZFCJI6ZPACHCQA6IT7/
- Include a note in MLEB release notes (next one is 2022.04). https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_Language_Extension_Bundle#LocalisationUpdate
The goal of this announcement is to gather feedback for:
- If anyone needs LU for cases not supported by translation backports
- If anyone is willing to maintain LU
- 2) Sunset
- Remove LU from MLEB https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/translatewiki/+/792222
- Remove LU from Language team's maintenance responsibilities
- Remove from MediaWiki Maintainers page
- Stop bundling with MediaWiki tarballs
- If nobody needs LU, request archiving: T309694: Archive the LocalisationUpdate extension (late 2023)
- If somebody needs LU:
- If somebody is willing to maintain LU: Add them as new maintainers
- If nobody is willing to maintain LU: Mark LU clearly as unmaintained extension