Inspired by the Special:Nearby we want to add the option to display nearby articles in a Kartographer map at an article page.
- Implement behind a feature flag
- Add a button to dynamic maps, to show a “nearby” layer. Always disabled by default.
- Display a map marker for other articles geolocated within the currently shown map area
- Style map markers to match Kartographer and show as separate from user-added markers (UX to make ticket)
- Use geosearch API as the source of articles (show only articles from current wiki)
- When marker is clicked, the standard pop-up appears with the article name shown as a linked title and the description has the short description (from wikidata) and the page preview image. It behaves like current marker pop-ups. Example:
- Show the most relevant (determined by CirrusSearch) articles T307208
- Determine maximum radius (and expand as far as possible)
- Add refresh button to show new results after the user has moved within the map to change the bounding box
- Desktop only, do not add feature to mobile yet (hide on mobile)
Out of scope
- Static maps
- Find out as early as possible if the planned feature implementation requires a security and/or performance review.
- How do the other tools get their data? Check for caching mechanisms.
Next steps (post-MVP):
- Pin grouping T308227
- Determine possibility for mobile support
- Accessibility: how to show results as a list
- Investigate if auto-refresh is possible T308235
- Potentially: Improve styling of pop-up/article preview