Error messages inform users that there is an error and how to correct it. For an error message to be effective people have to see and understand it, find the fields in error easily, and shouldn't have to memorize the error.
Based on the above principles, the form should use inline validation where possible, that is validate the information in the field as soon as the user leaves the field for another(before submitting the form) and the error message should be displayed below the field. This is illustrated in the image below
Fields that can be validated without submitting the form:
- Date, time, and timezone
- Location - meeting link, address
- Social media chat group link
- Go through the validations in the Create Event Registration API V0 fields document
- Explore how the errors can be prevented in the first place.
- Prepare error message copy for the different validations with UX writer on the design team.