We need to define and document the sans, serif and monospace typefaces of Codex's font styles for its Figma design specifications.
Some facts and requirements to consider:
- The current font stacks used in production prioritize system fonts and browser defaults for performance and practicality reasons. These cannot be updated to reflect design decisions.
- In Figma, we'd like to use typefaces that:
- Are not too visually different from what users will experience (i.e. we should select a font that is similar to the common OS defaults)
- Are part of the default Figma font stack (in order to remove the barrier for contributors, regardless of their operative system or available local fonts) (See task "Update fonts on design assets to make Figma files usable across platforms")
- Allow us to work with a variety of non-latin scripts (See task "Choose typographies for designing our text styles in Figma in different languages") - This issue is solved thanks to Figma's capability to replace missing characters using Noto Sans as a fallback
Suggestion for typefaces choice
The current suggestion, which resulted from a discussion in the task above, is:
- using Inter as our sans font,
- Source Serif Pro as our serif font and
- Fira Code as our monospace font.
Unfortunately, this will create a discrepancy between the text styles used in our design library and the CSS font stacks that will become apparent on inspection.
Acceptance criteria for Done
- We know which typeface to apply to the different sans, serif and monospace to text styles in Figma
- Codex Figma documentation represents our choices and documents main ideas behind decision