Page MenuHomePhabricator

Months of history missing from https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/source/phabricator-translations.git
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/source/phabricator-translations/history/wmf%252Fstable/ shows last commit is from February, but I am sure there have been commits after that.

For example 5 days ago:

cd 'phabricator'; git add .; if ! git diff --cached --quiet; then git commit -m 'Localisation updates from https://translatewiki.net.'; git rebase 'origin/wmf/stable' && git push origin 'wmf/stable'; fi
[wmf/stable 1f0d46f] Localisation updates from https://translatewiki.net.
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)
Current branch wmf/stable is up to date.
To ssh://git-ssh.wikimedia.org/source/phabricator-translations.git
   93f0042..1f0d46f  wmf/stable -> wmf/stable

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/rPHTR1f0d46f850c7a83f5a13c2858655d1179222043c still exists somewhere

Event Timeline

Nikerabbit triaged this task as Unbreak Now! priority.Jun 4 2022, 6:29 AM

Change 802883 had a related patch set uploaded (by Nikerabbit; author: Nikerabbit):

[translatewiki@master] Pause syncing Phabricator

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/802883

Change 802883 merged by jenkins-bot:

[translatewiki@master] Pause syncing Phabricator

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/802883

hashar assigned this task to Nikerabbit.
hashar added subscribers: brennen, hashar.

Looks like the repository has received a notification today rPHTR5f8cadd44584 I am assuming it got fixed.

Phabricator keeps a log of all pushes at https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/diffusion/pushlog/?repositories=PHID-REPO-djpnt5a7qd6ztib2dcmb

L10n-bot did push successfully on May 16, 23 and 30th

@brennen apparently did a push on June 3rd which got flagged as Rewrite Dangerous which is certainly a force push (there was a deployment being prepared on Friday June 3rd for private task T309757#7979355 ). The repository apparently has been rolled back to 0e9504b44a86 which is from Feb 3rd.

DateWhooldnewFlags
May 30L10n-bot93f0042e4e711f0d46f850c7 (May 30)Append
June 3Brennen1f0d46f850c70e9504b44a86 (Feb 3 )Rewrite Dangerous
June 6L10n-bot0e9504b44a86rPHTR5f8cadd44584 (Jun 6)Append

Change 803621 had a related patch set uploaded (by Brennen Bearnes; author: Brennen Bearnes):

[phabricator/deployment@wmf/stable] tag-release.sh: remove submodule force-push

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/803621

Note: I was pairing with @brennen on this—we didn't --force push, we ran: git push origin +HEAD:refs/heads/wmf/stable

Which, TIL, behaves...just like a force push \o/

I fixed the repo, fortunately it had not been garbage collected on the phab server.

The procedure I used to restore the commits was:

mkdir phabricator-translations.git
cd !$
rsync -avz thcipriani@phab1001.eqiad.wmnet:/srv/repos/2143/. .
cd ~/src/phabricator-translations
git update-ref 1f0d46f850c7 refs/heads/head-at-2022-06-02
git remote add local $HOME/src/phabricator-translations.git
git fetch local
git checkout head-at-2022-06-02

Then I cherry-picked the new commit from June 6th:

git cherry-pick 5f8cadd4458476f96588918cfb3e13934390b202
git update-ref refs/heads/wmf/stable HEAD
git push origin +HEAD:refs/heads/wmf/stable

I think all the commits should now be restored: sorry about that, but I learned something!

Change 803621 merged by Brennen Bearnes:

[phabricator/deployment@wmf/stable] tag-release.sh: remove submodule force-push

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/803621

git push origin +HEAD:refs/heads/wmf/stable`
               ^^^

Indeed that removes the non fast-forward limitation and is strictly the same as git push --force. Great catch :)