What is this task?
This task is used for planning and organizing only. To comment on the project or discuss it, please use one of the linked tasks instead.
Description of the main objective
Scope of the Initiative:
- Editor-defined intentional language fallbacks for Labels and Aliases (using the mul language code).
- Enhanced visibility of language fallbacks for Labels and Aliases in the editing UI.
Full language fallback support on mobile.
- Will reduce redundant Wikidata Labels and Aliases, benefiting infrastructure and the Wikidata community (see community task T285156).
- Current reliance on English as the sole generic fallback was not intentional or equitable.
Mobile users get proper language fallbacks for the first time.
v0.1 Initial test release (test.wikidata.org)
- T297393: [Milestone] v0.1 of the `mul` language code (test.wikidata.org)
- T307808: Wikibase classic termbox (entity terms view) drops last user babel language if interface language is not in babel
- T312920: Configure $wgBabelCategoryNames on Test Wikidata
- Release: T297393: [Milestone] v0.1 of the `mul` language code (test.wikidata.org)
v0.2 Fix unexpected behavior (test.wikidata.org)
- T311617: MUL - Wikibase classic termbox (entity terms view) sometimes reorders user babel languages
- T311626: MUL - Language name of mul language (“multiple languages”) inconsistently used in termboxes
- T312107: Inline search on Wikidata is unable to find all mul labels and aliases
- T312109: Search for haslabel:mul does not show results on Wikidata
- T318137: MUL - Fix mobile termbox styles for present/missing labels/descriptions
- Release: T319288: [Milestone] v0.2 of the `mul` language code (test.wikidata.org)
v0.3 Make Special pages ready for mul language code (test.wikidata.org)
- T329626: MUL - Make Special:NewItem ready for `mul` language code
- T330193: MUL - Make Special:SetLabelDescriptionAliases ready for `mul` language code
- T165870: MUL - Submit button on Special:SetLabelDescriptionAliases is too wide on smaller screens
- T313027: MUL - Do not allow adding term descriptions with the language code mul on Wikidata
- Release: T313024: [Milestone] v0.3 of the `mul` language code (test.wikidata.org)
v0.4 Make desktop UX ready for mul language code (test.wikidata.org)
- T316767: MUL - Show `mul` as the last language in the "In more languages" section of desktop termbox by default
- T329644: MUL - Remove descriptions for `mul` language code from the user workflow on desktop termbox [1 of 2: when viewing]
- T338302: MUL - Remove descriptions for `mul` language code from the user workflow on desktop termbox [2 of 2: when editing]
- T340832: [STORY] MUL - While reading, make Wikibase label fallbacks or the `mul` language code default clearly visible
- T338330: [STORY] MUL - While editing, make Wikibase label fallbacks or the `mul` language code default clearly visible
- T316769: [STORY] MUL - Add link to help page about “multiple languages” in the desktop termbox in editing mode
- T329763: [Analytics] Distribution of the Babel box count on Wikidata
- T343409: MUL - Configure Test Wikidata to full-rollout mode
- T345083: MUL - Change the copy to "default values" in different places
- T312105: MUL - Hide fallback indication when falling back to language code mul on Test Wikidata
- T345751: MUL - When editing, show the popup of the onboarding element immediately
- T345750: MUL - Change the position of the popup of the onboading element
Prepare the onboading landing-page
- Call to action to community about testing
- Release: T329661: [Milestone] v0.4 of the `mul` language code (test.wikidata.org)
v1.0 Limited initial release (www.wikidata.org)
- T345396: MUL - Hide fallback indication when falling back to language code mul on Wikidata
- T347564: MUL - Onboarding popup does not fully load in case of long Babel list
- Fix the "only on reload" behavior.
- Ensure that the alpha was tested by the community on Test Wikidata
- Enhance desktop UI alpha for production (incorporate community feedback, include Aliases)
- also looking at wikibase.view.fallbackchains.timing T340832#9074258
- If there is more than one mul Alias, only the first is reused as a placeholder, followed by an ellipsis symbol.
- Ensure that Properties work as well!
- Ensure that we have a good enough help page about mul and how to use it
- Ensure that we only activate the onboarding feature after the help page is good enough (tbd: before release or after?)
- T330281: MUL - Deploy `mul` language code on Wikidata.org
- Release: T312511: [Milestone] v1.0 of the `mul` language code (www.wikidata.org)
v1.1 Release for all editors (www.wikidata.org)
- T312176: MUL - Make the new mul language code available in Item termbox for all Wikidata editors by default
- T312723: [Community] Ideas to support a smooth change to `mul`
- T317515: MUL - Update the auto-completion suggestions in WDQS to include the new mul language code
- T304976: MUL - Ensure that the Community knows how to make WDQS label service fall back to mul labels
- T330217: MUL - Cleanup soft rollout flag
- Release: T330280: [Milestone] v1.1 of the `mul` language code (www.wikidata.org)
v1.2 Cleanig up (www.wikidata.org)
- T342274: Remove user preference to not show popup about mul again
- Make sure the removal of existing labels does not degrade ElasticSearch result (and thus term lookup).
- Do matches in the UI language get ranked higher (T334563)? Maybe look into this/keep in mind!
- Release: T342278: [Milestone] v1.2 of the `mul` language code (www.wikidata.org)
v1.3 All Wikibases
- Ensure that the new functionality can be used on all Wikibases
- Release: T342279: [Milestone] v1.3 of the `mul` language code (www.wikidata.org)
Out of scope
- Make mobile UI ready for language fallback and mul language code (test.wikidata.org)** [Wikibase Product Platform Team]
- TASKS NEED TO BE UPDATED** TO MATCH v0.4
- T312231: Investigation: Why does language fallback not work on Wikidata's mobile termbox
- T329781: MUL - Show the UI language as a part of the normal termbox list on Wikidata mobile
- T330183: MUL - Add normal language fallback to the mobile termbox
- T332174: MUL - Remove descriptions for `mul` language code from the user workflow on mobile termbox
- T332175: MUL - Use `mul` Labels and Aliases as placeholders for missing values in the mobile termbox
- T336781: MUL - Show `mul` as the last language in the "In more languages" section of mobile termbox by default
- Reactive updates (placeholders, heading)
- Fixing ORES
- This area will require work after MUL goes live (Michael)
- T332021: Wikidata Articlequality ORES/ML model needs updating after MUL
- We currently can't retrain our ORES models (Amir)
- T342022: Ensure explicit language fallback for all term languages
- T307274: Display fallback labels and descriptions as placeholder in termbox Beyond the scope of MUL (e.g. including descriptions)
- T340615: MUL - Truncate placeholders for Wikidata Labels and Aliases (only if needed)
- We should truncate the text of the MUL placeholders used for aliases in cases it's too long. A maximum of 2 lines of text should be displayed under all circumstances. Ellipsis will be used to indicate that the text was abbreviated.
- T332705: Make copy of the "Publish" button more consistent on Wikidata.
- T332702: Ensure content languages are sorted by language code
- Warn about creating duplicate Labels / Aliases if already in mul.
- T303677: Automatically generate descriptions for items based on their P31 (instance of) values (redundancy reduction for descriptions)
- T330197: MUL - Add live update to the mobile termbox
- “In more languages” / “In weiteren Sprachen“ is technically wrong
- Onboarding popup on all Wikibases (adding to T316769):
- The link target would then need to be defined by a new interface message (Mediawiki: namespace).
- By default this should lead to the mediawiki.org documentation (e.g. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikibase/Mul) [e.g. to be owned by suite in the future]
- On Wikidata this will be modified (e.g. to https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Help:Mul)
- T135871: Language fallback not applied to item/property heading after editing terms (note: avoided work on the legacy jQuery code in hopes of more long-term sollution)
- T329626#8636979 "Make Special:SetDescription ready for mul language code" (note: works alright as is)
- Multiple mul variants for different scriptures
- T332177: MUL - Add link to help page about “multiple languages” in mobile termbox mobile does not work as is, so no dot is required just for WD