Define a new configuration in the Wikistories MediaWiki extension that control the availability of the discover feature (show stories and CTA on article pages). The configuration will recognize two values: one that will make the extension in "beta", like it is now, and the other one will make it available to everyone (users and anons).
- When the config $wgWikistoriesDiscoveryMode = 'public'; is not in the Local settings file, the Beta Features section is visible in preferences and can be configured.
- When this is misconfigured, e.g, $wgWikistoriesDiscoveryMode = 'coconut';, the Beta Features section is no longer displayed in the Preferences and neither do users see Wikistories.
@SBisson since this parameter already has a fallback when it is not added to local settings (show BetaFeatures), I think the same should happen when it is misconfigured.
After discussion with @SBisson, this functionality will be modified as follows:
- If the Config is not present - do not show Wikistories at all.
- If the Config has an invalid value (e.g coconut) - do not show Wikistories at all. There can be a error in the logs, however.
- if the Config has a correct value - show Wikistories on beta or public mode, as it currently behaves.
Mentioned in SAL (#wikimedia-operations) [2022-10-06T13:06:11Z] <urbanecm@deploy1002> urbanecm and sbisson: Backport for [[gerrit:826882|Explicit config for Wikistories discovery module (T314582)]] synced to the testservers: mwdebug1002.eqiad.wmnet, mwdebug2002.codfw.wmnet, mwdebug1001.eqiad.wmnet, mwdebug2001.codfw.wmnet