Blockers for this work: T306609
With the new feature flag FEATURE_ARTICLE_TOOLS_MENU in place (T306609) we will begin work on the new page tools feature
The main menu is currently a dropdown menu, but behaves differently from other dropdown menus. In this task we'll make it behave like the tools/more menu, the table of contents menu, and the user menu dropdowns
|default state||pinned state|
The following is NOT in scope for this ticket.
- The persistent code should work exactly the same as before. If I open the menu and click a link in the menu, in the next page, the menu should remain open (changing this behaviour is out of scope for this ticket)
- No changes to the existing contents of the sidebar should be made as part of this ticket. (see T317898)
- Pinnable behaviour is not part of this change
- When feature flag is disabled, no visual changes
- When feature flag is enabled, the sidebar becomes a dropdown that overlays the content. Clicking (not hovering) the button shows the menu. Clicking it again closes it.
- The main menu landmark is inside the header, and includes both the main menu button and the main menu dropdown
- Users can directly tab from the main menu button to the main menu dropdown
- The language note at the bottom and the main menu and the opt-out link will remain in the main menu
- Once done, mark the appropriate field for that event in the instrumentation spec: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18FstayDXt-PKfy7qxL2AQ_dMjn59YdF9d2wHaS1vjTg/edit#gid=0
- Should there be a max height on the menu?
- What if the menu is larger than the available screen space ? Should there be a scrollbar?
- Are we dropping the < arrow icon as part of this change? (Yes)