The issue is a follow-up on T318007: User notifications remain visible even if they are marked as read
Steps to reproduce
- Log as a user who have >25 cross-wiki notifications (or go to Special:Notifications page and mark as unread some notifications, so the Echo badge notification count will be >25)
- Click on the Echo notification badge and click on Mark as read for the cross-wiki notification.
- The counter won't change which might be correct since only 25 notifications were discarded.
- the cross-wiki notifications disappear entirely which is incorrect since only 25 should be discarded
- Reload the page - the counter remains 99+ and the cross-wiki notifications reappear with the initial count of 100.
- Repeat the step 2 - the counter changes the count to 80 and the cross-wiki notifications disappear again.
- Reload the page - the cross-wiki notifications are displayed again. After that each click on Mark as read will subtract 25 from the count (as it should be).
The main issue here - the cross-wiki notifications disappear from the Echo drop-down. That, along with users not knowing that Mark as read removes (marks as read) only 25 notifications from the drop-down, creates confusion whether the Mark as read action worked at all and what status cross-wiki notifications have.
- the screen recording of the above steps