The cloud-services team Kanban board is currently listing 67 tasks in the "Doing" column and 48 tasks in the "Soon" column. This doesn't reflect the tasks actively being worked on ("Doing") or the ones that have been prioritized ("Soon"). This can be a source of confusion for both people in the team, members of other teams and external volunteers.
The underlying assumption of this decision request is that a Phabricator board that is more accurately reflecting the team work and priorities can lead the team to work more effectively, reduce the cognitive load for team members, and provide more clarity and transparency to people external to the team.
Constraints and risks
- Different attempts have been done in the past (see this board that was created for Q3 2021/2022), and they were abandoned. We need to gather more information about why they didn't work out.
- This decision request concentrates only on the "Soon" and "Doing" columns and does not consider the other columns of the board (Blocked, Epics, etc.). A more comprehensive approach might bring additional advantages.
Create a Phabricator "Milestone" for every quarter.
It's also similar to what the WMCS team is already using for the Toolforge Build Service project, although in that one the "milestones" are only 2 weeks long.
- provides a separate "zoomed-in" view for the current quarter, visualizing the team priorities for the quarter that are currently in a Google Doc
- reduces the chance of tasks being forgotten for too long, as a new board is created every quarter and old tasks must be manually added to it
- some extra work to create a new Milestone every quarter
only one milestone can be assigned to a given task, so the same task can not be at the same time tagged with a "WMCS-Qx" milestone, and a "Toolforge Build Service Iteration 0x" milestone.update: this is not true, more details in this comment.
Create a Phabricator "Subproject" for every quarter.
- the same of Option 1
can coexist more easily with the milestones used in the "Build Service" phabricator boardupdate: this is not true, more details in this comment
- the same of Option 1
- subprojects cannot be automatically displayed as columns in the parent board
Keep using the current board, but update the "Doing" and "Soon" column to reflect the current team work and priorities.
- easier maintenance (no need to create new boards every quarter and archive old ones)
- requires more attention to prevent build-up of tasks
- does not provide a visual representation of the priorities for each quarter