Once IP Masking goes into effect, IP addresses will be hidden from most users. Users with certain privileges will continue to be able to view IP addresses. There are a few different ways this will happen. This ticket lists out all the conditions under which IPs will be revealed and who will be able to reveal the IPs.
Who can see IPs?
- Admins, Bureaucrats, Oversight, Stewards, Checkusers
- who opt-in to seeing IP addresses (agree to terms)
- This needs a new preference (T325451) that Legal will decide the text for.
- Patrollers who meet the following conditions:
- Condition 1: Will need to meet some TBD thresholds for account age and minimum edit count (pending on Legal)
- Condition 2: Will need to be granted the IP-viewer right by community consensus
- Condition 3: Will need to explicitly opt-in to viewing IP addresses (agree to terms)
Where are IPs exposed?
- Special:Log (including all subpages where temp accounts are visible)
- Diff page
- Special:Block T324602
- Special:RecentChanges (maybe Growth?)
- Possibly other similar pages that we discover along the way.
Note: IP Revealing in content and talk pages will be tackled in a separate ticket.
How are IPs revealed?
On all other pages users with access to IPs will be able to reveal all IPs for a given temp account. If they click "Show IP" for a temporary account, it will reveal all instances of that temp account on that page irrespective of the IP address. IPs associated with that temporary username will stay revealed on that page and subsequent pages visited for a period of 24 hours after which they will need to reveal that temp username once more.
|Sample IP Reveal mockup for log, watchlist, history||Sample IP Reveal mockup for contributions|
Do revealed IP addresses persist?
Yes. For admins and checkusers, all temp accounts once revealed will stay revealed even when the user moves across pages. They will stay revealed for 24 hours.
For patrollers temp-account-IP address pairs once revealed will stay revealed even when the user moved across pages. This will stay revealed for 24 hours.
What is logged?
Details in T325658: Log access to IP addresses of temporary accounts
Log 1: Activation/deactivation of access
- Who activated/deactivated access to IP addresses
- When they received/revoked the access (timestamp)
Log 2: Log of actions taken
- Temp username that was revealed
- Performer for the reveal
- Timestamp of this action
These logs will be retained indefinitely.