Steps to replicate the issue (include links if applicable):
- Visit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page or any other wiki with Vector 2022 enabled
- Click or keyboard navigate to the header search input
- Position your mouse some 100px or so below the search field
- Begin typing something in the search field
- Note how the menu item that your mouse is hovering over is now visually highlighted.
- Press Enter
You are navigated to the page of the menu item that was highlighted via your mouse cursor
What should have happened instead?:
In this case, the enter keypress should have submitted the search form, which means you will navigate to the page of the current search query (or, if that page does not exist, to the search page with your query pre-populated). In this case, you have not intentionally selected the highlighted item, it was just under your cursor.
An enter keypress should only select an item in the menu if the arrow keys were used to navigate to that item.
Software version (skip for WMF-hosted wikis like Wikipedia):
Production wikis with Vector 2022 enabled
Other information (browser name/version, screenshots, etc.):
Firefox version 109.0.1 and Chrome version 110.0.5481.78 have been confirmed