Page MenuHomePhabricator

TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'getBoundingClientRect')
Closed, ResolvedPublic4 Estimated Story PointsPRODUCTION ERROR

Description

Error
normalized_message
TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'getBoundingClientRect')
at isLanguageFullyVisible  https://en.wikipedia.org/w/load.php?lang=en&modules=ext.uls.i18n%2Clanguagenames%2Cmediawiki%2Cmessages%7Cjquery.i18n%2Culs%7Cjquery.uls.grid&skin=vector-2022&version=1irt0:70:498
at LanguageCategoryDisplay.highlightLanguageOption  https://en.wikipedia.org/w/load.php?lang=en&modules=ext.uls.i18n%2Clanguagenames%2Cmediawiki%2Cmessages%7Cjquery.i18n%2Culs%7Cjquery.uls.grid&skin=vector-2022&version=1irt0:72:1
at LanguageCategoryDisplay.navigateUp  https://en.wikipedia.org/w/load.php?lang=en&modules=ext.uls.i18n%2Clanguagenames%2Cmediawiki%2Cmessages%7Cjquery.i18n%2Culs%7Cjquery.uls.grid&skin=vector-2022&version=1irt0:71:699
at LanguageFilter.keypress  https://en.wikipedia.org/w/load.php?lang=en&modules=ext.uls.i18n%2Clanguagenames%2Cmediawiki%2Cmessages%7Cjquery.i18n%2Culs%7Cjquery.uls.grid&skin=vector-2022&version=1irt0:81:393
at HTMLInputElement.dispatch  https://en.wikipedia.org/w/load.php?lang=en&modules=jquery%2Cvue&skin=vector-2022&version=1vlka:70:260
at elemData.handle  https://en.wikipedia.org/w/load.php?lang=en&modules=jquery%2Cvue&skin=vector-2022&version=1vlka:66:877
exception.trace
Impact

295 errors in last 7 days

Notes

Seems to occur on keypress
Potential upstream issue in jquery.uls.lcd.js

Event Timeline

I'm able to reproduce this with the following steps:

  1. Go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022%E2%80%9323_Pro_A_season?useskin=vector-2022
  2. Open the language selector and filter the languages so that there is only one language remaining
  3. Press the up arrow

Submitted: https://github.com/wikimedia/jquery.uls/pull/445/files to fix this.

Change 889516 had a related patch set uploaded (by Abijeet Patro; author: Abijeet Patro):

[mediawiki/extensions/UniversalLanguageSelector@master] Update jquery.uls from upstream

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/889516

Change 889516 merged by jenkins-bot:

[mediawiki/extensions/UniversalLanguageSelector@master] Update jquery.uls from upstream

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/889516

abi_ moved this task from In Review to Done on the Language-Team (Language-2023-January-March) board.

The fix has been deployed and tested on translatewiki.net

This error is still occuring in Wikimedia production at a rate of 192 errors in the last 7 days.

This error is still occuring in Wikimedia production at a rate of 192 errors in the last 7 days.

Thanks. I noticed some occurrences that were due to my changes to ULS when an empty state is added to ULS in order to provide entry points to create articles. I've submitted https://github.com/wikimedia/jquery.uls/pull/449 to fix this.

I also see other occurrences of this error but doesn't appear to be related to ULS. See Logstash link.

Change 896401 had a related patch set uploaded (by Abijeet Patro; author: Abijeet Patro):

[mediawiki/extensions/UniversalLanguageSelector@master] Update jquery.uls library

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/896401

Change 896401 merged by jenkins-bot:

[mediawiki/extensions/UniversalLanguageSelector@master] Update jquery.uls from upstream

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/896401

abi_ lowered the priority of this task from High to Medium.Mar 27 2023, 10:20 AM

I now see 19 occurrences of this error in the last 10 days. Will continue investigation at a lower priority.

Nikerabbit lowered the priority of this task from Medium to Lowest.Apr 4 2023, 12:05 PM
Nikerabbit set the point value for this task to 4.Apr 4 2023, 12:18 PM

I've added some error logging in the jquery.uls library: https://github.com/wikimedia/jquery.uls/pull/453

Hopefully, this should help find the error.

I'm not seeing any errors on the latest deploy branch. Thanks for working on this!
https://logstash.wikimedia.org/goto/3dcd48891a7a606eaa9d1841f3d7a20e

Hasn't gone through sprint process yet.

I'm seeing instances of the following error a few times weekly:

Error: Could not identify selected item with index: 9; Total items in ULS: 3

Link to Logstash

This might be caused due to lag in responding to user input. I'm planning to add some auto-correcting code to jquery.uls and improve logging.

Edit: Submitted: https://github.com/wikimedia/jquery.uls/pull/457

Change 924048 had a related patch set uploaded (by Abijeet Patro; author: Abijeet Patro):

[mediawiki/extensions/UniversalLanguageSelector@master] Update jquery.uls from upstream

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/924048

Change 924048 merged by jenkins-bot:

[mediawiki/extensions/UniversalLanguageSelector@master] Update jquery.uls from upstream

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/924048

I'm not seeing any more occurrences of this issue in the past 5 days. I'll check this for a couple of day and then resolve it.

No occurrences of this error since 31st of May. Marking this as resolved.