The Design Systems team has drafted the SSR proposal (T272878), but we have also discussed rolling in other capabilities into the front-end modernization initiative (e.g., build step T199004 T279108, JS runtime T328699) and don't yet have a consolidated team-wide perspective of the problems we are trying to solve or how the potential solution(s) weave together.
Timebox: 1 week (~March 1)
As part of the proposal, we also want to answer the following questions around the "why?" and "what?" of the initiative, but also explore potential approaches to the "how?":
- What exactly are the problems we’re trying to solve by driving this initiative?
- That is, are we trying to solve: multiple ways to write UI? Better developer experience? Converging FE development within MediaWiki with where the rest of the industry is going? Improving performance?
- Potential problems we might include here:
- It is hard to use Vue in certain development contexts on wiki
- It is hard to integrate Vue into our development toolchain
- It is hard to integrate Vue-based development workflows into our existing server-vended UI paradigms
- We cannot use typescript
- Our bundle size is large and getting larger
- We cannot currently use ES6 syntax
- Our build chain is PHP based
- Why do we think our team should be tackling these problems, and why now?
- Who do we need to help us?
- Do we believe there is one solution path to address these problems? Or are multiple solutions needed?