- Title of session: Introduction to the Wikibase REST API
- Session description: An introduction to the new Wikibase REST API from the developers at WMDE
- Username for contact: @Ollie.Shotton_WMDE + @Muhammad_Yasser_Jazirahly_WMDE
- Session duration (25 or 50 min): 25 mins
- Session type (presentation, workshop, discussion, etc.): presentation
- Language of session (English, Arabic, etc.): English (Arabic version can be provided if sufficient interest)
- Prerequisites (some Python, etc.): None
- Any other details to share?:
- Interested? Add your username below:
Hello @simon04 - glad to see you're interested in the session. I've noticed you might potentially want to discuss T273534 --please note that the API that will be described in the session does not use the mentioned Mediawiki REST API's handler class. We very much encourage you and invite to join the session about the REST API in Wikibase and on Wikidata but note that we might not be able to help much about that very bug.
An Introduction to the Wikibase Rest API
Date & time: Friday, May 19th at 11:00 am EEST / 8:00 am UTC
- Phabricator task: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T332201
- Presentation slides: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1NIyANVksPFh0aVZwJCenhfWIv4-EuguXbR0QdFTuM-A/edit?usp=sharing
- Developer docs: https://doc.wikimedia.org/Wikibase/master/php/repo_rest-api_README.html
- OpenAPI/Swagger docs: https://doc.wikimedia.org/Wikibase/master/js/rest-api/
- Wikidata: REST_API: https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:REST_API
Muhammad Yasser Jazirahly
Goal of the rest api: make working with wikidata easier
Why a new wikibase? More people to use it!
Why it's hard? Homegrown API was hard to use
Wikibase Rest API to the rescue!
- more standards,
- better tailored to wikibase data model,
- REST solves some issues
- OpenAPI compliant
What you can do with the new API?
- retrieve and filter different items and statements
- more to come
How to use it
- directly at wikidata or in local wikibase
Looking up what endpoint to use in the swagger docs
PATCH statement in insomnia https://insomnia.rest/
What to watch out for
JSON structure has been improved
How to find out more information
Links at the top of the etherpad
Do you know if there are plans to do multiple items (get the same statement for multiple items)
not right now but it would be nice
what was the release date of the API?
Still in development (not offically released)
Do you have ideas on what the performance of it would be
not sure yet - anecdotally it seems faster than the Action API - would like to gather performance metrics at some stage
What is the relation to the query service?
Query service is doing many other things, also slow
Question about documentation?
Developer Documentation - links at top
Swagger - links at top
@Ollie.Shotton_WMDE: Thanks for participating in the Hackathon! We hope you had a great time.
- If this session / event took place: Please change the task status to resolved via the Add Action... → Change Status dropdown.
- If there are session notes (e.g. on Etherpad or a wiki page), or if the session was recorded, please make sure these resources are linked from this task.
- If there are specific follow-up tasks from this session / event: Please create dedicated tasks and add another active project tag to those tasks, so others can find those tasks (as likely nobody in the future will look at the Hackathon workboard when trying to find something they are interested in).
- In this session / event did not take place: Please set the task status to declined.
Phabricator housekeeping service