Page MenuHomePhabricator

Raise version of PHP on integration.wikimedia.org from 7.3 to 7.4+
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

Almost certainly this'll be done via T334517: upgrade contint servers to bullseye, but having this open as a distinct task in case we fast-forward the PHP executable like we did for doc.wikimedia.org in T322357: OOUI PHP demos page is broken (again) ahead of T319477: Migrate doc hosts to Bullseye.

Event Timeline

Dzahn subscribed.

Yea, it's possible to do this like we did for doc.wikimedia.org. If this makes us more confident about switching to bullseye sooner. It should just not mean that it slows down the plans to switch to bullseye completely. It's a step in the right direction either way.

@hashar do you see value in doing this or should we go directly for the upgrade?

CC @thcipriani in case someone else can make the call before Antoine is back.

The integration/docroot is shared by both https://doc.wikimedia.org/ (updated via T322357) and https://integration.wikimedia.org/ but in Puppet the PHP version is managed differently (respectively via profile::doc and ::profile::ci:httpd). I completely forgot to update php on integration as well, it is an easy update I will propose a patch.

Change 914731 had a related patch set uploaded (by Hashar; author: Hashar):

[operations/puppet@production] Use same php version for doc and integration websites

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/914731

Change 914731 had a related patch set uploaded (by Dzahn; author: Hashar):

[operations/puppet@production] Use same php version for doc and integration websites

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/914731

Change 914731 merged by Dzahn:

[operations/puppet@production] Use same php version for doc and integration websites

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/914731

cross-post from T294276#8904580

Today we upgraded PHP 7.3 to PHP 7.4 on all contint* hosts, buster and bullseye. The goal is that it makes us more confident that everything works and we can switch to bullseye.

The change was implemented in https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/operations/puppet/+/914731 and I deployed it carefully.

First did the new non-prod bullseye hosts, then the buster failover host and last the buster main prod host.

On the first puppet run after the merge there are a ton of puppet errors but they fix themselves after a second puppet run, they are dependency issues only and not a big deal.

Also needed manual removal of the old PHP7.3 packages and apache2 restart with:

sudo apt-get remove --purge libapache2-mod-php7.3 php7.3-cli php7.3-common php7.3-json php7.3-opcache php7.3-readline
sudo systemctl restart apache2

Things like https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/integration/config/+/909388/ are already following.

As a result of the upgrade, we have removed php 7.3 support from integration/docroot: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/integration/config/+/909388