User story & summary:
As a logged in newcomer, I want to see caption onboarding that helps me write a good caption for the image, because a caption is needed to complete the task.
Background & research:
Structured tasks break down editing workflows into a series of steps that newcomers can accomplish easily. Newcomer tasks increase newcomer activation (+11.6%), which flows on through to increased retention (1). Initial data shows that structured tasks help improve activation and retention even further (2).
- We'll re-use the existing implementation from add image due to time constraints, and try to follow up with T336705: Section-level images: Improvements for add caption onboarding after the MVP release.
- As with task onboarding, the single step caption has a “Don’t show this again” checkbox, which opens the onboarding each time until it is checked.
Mobile Figma designs
- Utilises the standard guidance format, with content from the onboarding tool tips broken into quick tip steps.
- The onboarding changes slightly changes its copy in comparison to Add an image:
- “Write a caption to go with the image in the article section”
- “Describe the image so it’s clear how it relates to both the article and its section”
Given I'm completing a section-level "add an image" task,
When I get to the caption stage,
Then I see caption onboarding
Given I select "Don't show this again" or "Don't show again",
When I complete another section-level image suggestion.
Then I don't see this caption onboarding again.