Programs & Events Dashboard — https://outreachdashboard.wmflabs.org/ — is a web application for keeping track of the contributions of groups of editors participating in edit-a-thons, wiki editing courses, and other projects focused on contributing to Wikipedia, Wikidata, and other Wikimedia wikis.
It has a set of documentation pages — https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Programs_%26_Events_Dashboard — as well training modules hosted on the platform itself — https://outreachdashboard.wmflabs.org/training — that provide information on how to use various features of the Dashboard. However, these don't cover all the most common questions that people have. Improved documentation — including demo videos — is one of the top requests from Dashboard users.
For this project, you will review existing documentation, as well as survey responses from the most recent Dashboard user survey, identify high-priority areas for documentation improvement, and then implement those improvements. Along the way, you may find bugs or inconsistencies in the Dashboard user experience, which you should document as new Issues, and you may find it helpful to contact individual users to learn more about their use cases and documentation needs.
Both the on-wiki documentations pages and the integrated training modules are translatable and available in multiple languages, but the English version is the source that volunteer translators of the documentation can work from, and improving that source version will be the focus of this project.
To get started, you should set up a Dashboard development environment so that you will easily be able to explore the system and use all the features in a non-production environment. See https://github.com/WikiEducationFoundation/WikiEduDashboard
Email sage at wikiedu.org to request an invite to the project's Slack chat.
- Written and Spoken English communication skills - required
- Video production / screencasting - highly useful, but not required
- Familiarity with wikis and/or Wikidata - helpful but not required
- Experience with or interested in user research - helpful but not required
- After setting up a development environment and exploring the system, identify a specific area for improvement in the existing documentation, and open an issue describing the problem and a proposed solution: https://github.com/WikiEducationFoundation/WikiEduDashboard/issues/new/choose
- Technical tasks: https://github.com/WikiEducationFoundation/WikiEduDashboard/labels/newcomer%20friendly