http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MIMESearch is extremely user unfriendly.
There should be drop-downs with the variations pre-filled.
Dropdown 1: MIME main type:
- image/drawing (jpg, png, svg, wmf, ps, etc.)
- audio (ogg, mp3, wav, midi, etc.)
- video (ogg, mpg, etc.)
- multimedia (scriptable multimedia: flash, advanced video container formats, etc)
- office (office documents, containing apples, scripts, etc)
- text (plain text, e.g. *.txt or *.php)
- executable (binary executable, e.g. *.exe)
- archive (?)
- unknown (unknown formats and 'bitmap')
- non-image (all, except 'image')
A second dropdown could list the minor types.
I know this can be hard to add a sdefault so add a global where I can define them. E.g.
$wgMIMESearchSelect = array(
'image/jpeg', 'image/png', 'image/bmp', ' audio/ogg', ...
It would of course be much better if you craete the dropdowns automatically based on $wgFileExtensions.